Caroline (kittytech) wrote,

Hack Hack, Cough Cough

Welcome, everyone to the second-best day of the week; the wonderful day of Friday! However, to get to this point, I had to make it through the work day. That, friends and neighbors, was a most interesting experience. So, sit back, relax, and drink your favorite beverage of choice as I take you on a tour of my Friday.

My alarm went off at 6:30. Well actually, it was 6:30 according to my Book Port, but unfortunately it's been a while since I've adjusted the time and didn't realize that it's currently about ten minutes slow. So anyway, I got up. Today was the day that I was supposed to have two appointments pretty much back to back. voyagerjc was a sweetie and packed me a surprise lunch, so that minor problem was cleared up. So, I did all the normal stuff, took a shower, so on and so forth. The shower thing is important here. SMILE!

This morning I got to meet my new driver. He seems like a really nice guy, and I think he's going to be a lot of fun. The first appointment, although it's right here in town, required a driver because there's no way I was going to carry a complete computer system in a cab, especially since some of these drivers just throw stuff in wherever and don't seem to care if it's important or not. So we got to the place, and went in. I always like to go in first and see where we're going to be setting up the computer before I even start bringing in equipment. No surprise, this person had an old computer which hadn't been taken down yet. (And I'm supposed to put your new system where?) My job does not include taking down old systems, nor does it include free removal of said systems. From time to time though, at the request of the client's rehab counselor or other agency, we will transfer files from one system to another. When this appointment was set up originally, there was never any mention of moving files. Now, don't get me wrong. 99 percent of the time I'll go out of my way to help the clients with all kinds of things that I'm not technically supposed to do. However, there were a couple of things that stopped me in this situation. First, the minute I walked into her trailer, I was greeted to the most terrible odor of cigarette smoke I've ever encountered on the job. It was as if I had walked into a brick wall. This is not healthy! Not only is it just plain nasty in my opinion, but with my asthma and allergies it's just plain bad. Second, although this lady was fine to me, the way she treated her husband was, in my opinion, just plain mean. He was trying to offer to remove the old system, and she was telling him that he needed to help bring in the new components even though my driver was perfectly capable of doing it on his own. Then she kept calling him names and swearing at him. I was getting pretty uncomfortable with the whole situation, and I just didn't feel that copying files would be a good idea. I even called into the office and was told absolutely not, so I didn't.

The computer set-up went well, accept that she wanted Microsoft Office installed. She apparently had the disks, but she couldn't find them anywhere, so a good portion of what I'm supposed to cover with her isn't even possible. So, I spent the next couple of hours going over Windows basics, and reviewing things like turning off the computer the correct way. Pressing and holding the power button is not an acceptable form of powering off the computer thank you very much.

By the time I got out of there I thought I was going to hack up a lung or two. I was lucky that my driver had offered to take me to my second appointment as well so I didn't have to wait for a cab. As it turned out, the two appointments weren't really that far apart anyway, but it was still nice of him to take me. I ate my lunch on the way over there, and enjoyed the nice cold fresh air. I felt absolutely terrible though, because the second guy wasn't a smoker, and I brought in the smell with me, and most likely left it on his furniture. he was good about it, but I always try to be conscious of other people's things, even if it is just a simple chair.

When I got home I immediately changed my clothes and came in to se what exciting things I had on my computer. Unfortunately, even with the new clothes on, I still couldn't handle my smell. It was in my hair and on my skin, and even though I only had on my jeans and t-shirt for about 20 minutes, by the time I took them off they were smelling like smoke too. So, I took shower number two. I washed my hair about two or three times, and then stuck my head out of the shower to have Jim smell it to see if it was okay. I didn't want this stuff getting into my favorite pillow, and I didn't want it in my bed. It just amazes me how much that stuff sticks to you. We hung my jacket up on the curtain rod over the tub, and I sprayed it pretty liberally in air freshener. My purse, my PAC Mate case, and the tote bag that I had with me for my lunch are still pretty awful, but I'm hoping that it'll just go away. If I could, I'd let it sit outside for a couple of hours, but obviously that's probably not such a good idea.

This experience wasn't quite as bad as the entry I wrote several months back about the guy who had roaches in his place, but this was definitely a really close second. I'm supposed to go back there five more times, but I'm honestly not sure if I can do it. I have the right to refuse service if I feel that I'm in any kind of danger, and although I think this refers more to being alone with people that might try to take advantage of me, I shouldn't have to put up with someone and her husband fighting in front of me either. I'm not offended by swearing, but I think that there's a time and place for it, and when I'm trying to do a job I think people need to be more respectful. They didn't even know me after all.

Okay, so I'm done ranting. If I have any smokers reading this, I'm sorry about the anti-smoke rant, but I just can't stand the stuff, and I've never been very silent about it.

Well, it's only about an hour past my bedtime, so I think I'm going to get out of here for now. I'll write more tomorrow, if I can remember the other stuff I had planned to write about.

  • It's Time to Change

    Well my subject line says it all. I've been with LJ for several years, and most of that time has been as a permanent member. Sadly, over the last…

  • Trivia for Thursday

    I did not like these questions today! So, the fact that I got my second 10/10 of the week was definitely a nice surprise. Here are the questions.

  • Wednesday Trivia

    8/10 for me today. I don't know my dimes or my war history. Here are the questions.

Comments for this post were disabled by the author